Sandia Heights is a beautiful area located in the foothills of the Sandia Mountains in New Mexico. It is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts, offering a variety of activities such as hiking, biking, and camping. The area is also home to some unique attractions, making it a great place to explore and experience the beauty of the Southwest. Here are some interesting facts about Sandia Heights:
1. Sandia Heights is located in Bernalillo County, New Mexico, and is part of the Albuquerque metropolitan area. It is situated at an elevation of 6,000 feet, making it one of the highest points in the state.
2. The area is home to a variety of wildlife, including coyotes, bobcats, and mule deer. It is also a popular spot for bird watching, with over 200 species of birds recorded in the area.
3. Sandia Heights is home to the Sandia Peak Tramway, the longest aerial tramway in the United States. The tramway takes visitors up to the top of the Sandia Mountains, offering stunning views of the surrounding area.
4. The area is also home to the Sandia Mountain Wilderness, a protected area of over 20,000 acres. The wilderness is home to a variety of plants and animals, and is a popular destination for hikers and campers.
5. Sandia Heights is also home to the Sandia National Laboratories, a research facility operated by the United States Department of Energy. The labs are responsible for a variety of research projects, including nuclear weapons development.
Sandia Heights is a unique area with a lot to offer. From its stunning views to its diverse wildlife, it is a great place to explore and experience the beauty of the Southwest. Whether you’re looking for a peaceful getaway or an exciting adventure, Sandia Heights has something for everyone.