El Rito is a small unincorporated community located in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico. It is situated in the northern part of the state, near the Colorado border. El Rito is known for its rich cultural heritage, stunning landscapes, and unique attractions. Here are some interesting facts about El Rito:
1. El Rito was founded in 1754 by Spanish settlers. It is one of the oldest settlements in the state of New Mexico. The name El Rito translates to “the river” in Spanish, which is a reference to the nearby Rio Grande.
2. El Rito is home to the El Rito Public Library, which is the oldest public library in the state. It was established in 1876 and is still in operation today.
3. El Rito is home to the El Rito Studio Tour, which is an annual event that showcases the work of local artists. The tour takes place in the summer and features a variety of art forms, including painting, sculpture, and photography.
4. El Rito is home to the El Rito Music Festival, which is an annual event that celebrates traditional music from the region. The festival features a variety of musical styles, including folk, blues, jazz, and Latin music.
5. El Rito is home to the El Rito Nature Center, which is a nature preserve that offers educational programs and activities for visitors. The center is home to a variety of wildlife, including birds, mammals, reptiles, and amphibians.
El Rito is a unique and fascinating place with a rich cultural heritage and stunning landscapes. It is a great destination for anyone looking to explore the beauty of New Mexico and experience its unique attractions.